The PADI Open Water Diver course is a complete, carefully structured entry level scuba diving course designed to take you from a non-diver with little or no prior experience to a certified diver. The certification is recognized worldwide and is valid for life, to a maximum depth of 18 meters / 60 feet.
The Fun Part
The fun part about this course is . . . well, just about all of it because learning to dive is incredible. During the course, you’ll make at least five pool dives and four dives in the ocean under the supervision of your PADI Instructor.
To enroll, you need to:
- Be at least 10 years old for Junior Open Water Diver course and at least 15 years old for Open Water Diver course. PADI eLearning requires a minimum age of 13 years due to international internet laws.
- Show that you can tread water for ten minutes and swim 200 m in our pool.
- Fill up our PADI Medical Questionnaire. This form is to find out if you should be examined by your doctor before participating in recreational diver training. If any of the items in the Medical Questionnaire apply to you, you must consult a physician prior to participating in scuba diving.
The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of three distinct sections:
Theory: The theory portion of the open water course includes book work, videos, study questions, and quizzes. The 5 dive theory modules cover a range of topics such as pressure-depth relationships, the underwater environment, dive planning, and equipment.
Pool Work: During pool (or “confined water”) classes, students practice basic diving skills in the pool. Divers practice all the skills that they use on open water dives like ear equalization and mask removal and replacement in this controlled environment before entering the open water.
Open Water Dives: Under the watchful eye of an instructor, you will apply the knowledge and skills learned in the theory and pool sections of the course on real open water dives.
Choose the eLearning option and study from home. You will start directly with the pool and the next day you will be a certified diver!
PADI offers a variety of home-study materials for the Open Water Diver course. You can study when and wherever you want and arrive to our diving center ready to start the training.
PADI’s Open Water Diver materials cover what you need to know about basic scuba diving skills, terminology and safety procedures. For each concept you’ll read a description and watch a video demonstration. Then you’ll jump in the pool (or pool-like environment) to practice these skills with your instructor. Later, as a certified diver, use the course materials as a reference guide for future diving adventures and to review what you learned.
- PADI Open Water Diver : 3 days
- PADI Open Water Diver with E-Learning or referral : 2 days
- Upgrade from Discover Scuba Diver to Open Water Diver: 2 days
- Upgrade from Scuba Diver to Open Water Diver: 1 day
All the equipment you will need is included in your course. You’ll use all the basic scuba gear including a mask, snorkel and fins, a buoyancy compensating device (BCD) that also carries your scuba tank, a scuba regulator to breathe from, a weight system, a wetsuit, and instrumentation to monitor depth and air supply.
For comfort and hygiene reasons, many people prefer to use their own equipment. If you would like the peace-of-mind and comfort of your own gear, we can help. You may want to invest in your own mask, snorkel and fins since these personal items are a lot more fun to use when they fit properly. Also for $7 usd additional, you can get a brand new mouthpiece for the regulators you’ll use during the course, and you take it back home. Something you might want to think about…
We have the right Pricing for you!
Diving Equipment Rental
Instruction by PADI Instructors
Knowledge Skills with Video
Skills practice in confined water
Boat dives in Playa Del Carmen
PADI Certification Card Fee
Note: Student divers must have a personal set of PADI Materials for use during the course, as per PADI standards.
You might also enjoy…
- Instruction by professional and multilingual PADI-certified scuba diving instructor
- Knowledge development
- Skills practice in confined water
- Open water practice with 4 boat dives on 4 different Playa Del Carmen sites (over 2 days)
- Diving equipment rental
- PADI Open Water certification fee
- Bottled water
- Photos and Videos: Turn your dive adventure into a photo shoot. Please reserve this service in advance.
- Transfer from your hotel: for guests staying in the nearby Riviera Maya Resorts, Mexico Blue Dream provides you with a shuttle service to and from the dive club for a small charge. Please reserve your hotel transfer in advance. Click here for our Shuttle Service Price List
- Lunch: you will find a variety of restaurants and fast foods around the dive center.
- Padi Open Water Diver manual and table.
- All prices are per person.
- All prices are in US Dollars and are subject to change without notice.
- Our prices include 16% sales tax.
- We know that things can happen before or when on vacations. We are a 100% honest and transparent with our refund and cancellation policy. Please read our Terms & Conditions before you book.